President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla., Aug. 31, 2022. | Steve Helber/AP Photo
Intelligence officials have resumed their national-security risk review of classified documents that were seized at Donald Trump’s Florida estate, a spokesperson for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence told POLITICO.
The resumption, which has not been previously reported, comes after a federal appeals court delivered the Justice Department a decisive win, unanimously blocking elements of a lower-court ruling that forced federal prosecutors to seek a pause in the highly anticipated intelligence review.
In a letter to congressional committee leaders last month, Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines said her office would lead twin reviews of the documents Trump kept at Mar-a-Lago: one centered on the classification levels of the seized documents, and another that examines the national-security fallout if the materials were improperly disclosed.